As the Tepper School of Business moves across campus to the new Tepper Quad, take a moment to reflect upon the school’s impressive growth.
This fall, the new home of the business school on the Tepper Quad opens its doors. The Graduate School of Industrial Administration (GSIA) — now the Tepper School of Business — has been located in the same building for almost its entire existence. As the school has grown, the GSIA building has grown with it, accommodating new programs, a student body exceeding 1,700 and a faculty of more than 150.
Construction of a New Building
The School of Industrial Administration was founded with a $6 million gift from William Larimer Mellon, founder of Gulf Oil. $1 million of the gift was designated for the construction of a new building.
The School of Industrial Administration building was completed. The 42,613-square-foot building included seven classrooms; four seminar rooms; laboratories for statistics, time and motion, and accounting; a 150-seat lecture hall; a library; a student lounge; and 19 offices for faculty in industrial administration, economics, psychology, law and political science.
The Graduate School of Industrial Administration building was expanded to include space for the school’s new undergraduate programs. The addition included a garden (where the courtyard currently sits) and two large classrooms — the Cooper and Simon auditoriums.
Posner Hall, named for Carnegie Mellon University Lifetime Trustee Henry Posner Jr., was completed with $13.5 million in gifts from Posner’s family, from descendants of William Larimer Mellon and from the Vira I. Heinz Foundation. The 39,000-square-foot addition vastly expanded classroom space and faculty offices.
Third Floor Added
Following a $2 million gift from Robert Bosch GmbH, a third floor was added on Posner Hall, accommodating expanded Executive Education offerings and the Carnegie Bosch Institute.
West Side Expansion
The most recent expansion to the GSIA building was a three-story, 4,675-square-foot addition on the west side of the building. It added a new entrance at Frew Street, a student lounge, office space currently occupied by the Donald H. Jones Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, and the Faculty Conference Center.
School of Industrial Administration
In 1948, Carnegie Institute of Technology President Robert Doherty established the Department of Industrial Administration as a part of his campaign to increase the school’s offerings in the humanities and social sciences, especially for graduate study. This was quickly followed by a $6 million gift from William Larimer Mellon, founder of Gulf Oil Corporation, to establish a graduate school for the study of industrial administration. Mellon designated $1 million of the gift toward the construction of a new building for the nascent School of Industrial Administration.
In June 1949, architecture firm Marlier & Johnstone — a partnership of Burton Kenneth Johnstone, who was dean of the College of Fine Arts at the time — conducted an analysis of the facilities required. In their report, Marlier & Johnstone recommended that the building be “designed to permit flexible reorganization of space as the program of education progressively advances” and referred to it as “an architectural milestone in the evolution of buildings to serve education” — statements that are paralleled today in much of the design philosophy of the Tepper Quad.
The firm recommended a total of seven classrooms designed to be flexible, allowing for different uses of the space depending on the style of instruction, as well as four seminar rooms that could accommodate both scheduled and informal meetings between small groups of students and faculty. The plans also included a lecture hall that could accommodate 150 and laboratory spaces for statistics, time and motion, and accounting. This reflected ambitious growth for a school that launched with only six master’s students.
The plans also included office space for a total of 26 faculty encompassing industrial administration, economics, psychology, law and political science — demonstrating the early commitment to an interdisciplinary focus that remains to this day.
The 42,613-square-foot building was completed in 1952. The dedication ceremony on Oct. 2, 1952 included a keynote, a handful of speeches and an open house. This was followed on Oct. 3 by a roundtable inviting business leaders and academics to discuss management education. Titled “Fundamental Research for Management: Present Status and Future Paths,” the seminar included industry representatives from Standard Oil, Pittsburgh Plate Glass, Westinghouse Electric, Gulf Oil, General Motors and Ford Motor Company; officials from the Ford Foundation, Carnegie Corporation and the Falk Foundation; educators from the Harvard Business School, MIT’s School of Industrial Management and UCLA’s School of Business Administration; and editors from BusinessWeek and Fortune.
Additions to the GSIA building were constructed in 1977 and 1989, accommodating numerous initiatives that launched at the business school — many of which are still thriving today.
In 1953, the first courses under the “Program for Executives,” now known as Executive Education, were offered to participants from 22 companies in the U.S., India, Sweden and Canada. In that same year, the undergraduate program in industrial management moved into GSIA. The 1977 expansion included much of the space that now houses the undergraduate programs, including the Cooper and Simon auditoriums — named for GSIA founding faculty members William Cooper and Herbert Simon.
John “Jack” Thorne, who was part of the first graduating class of Master of Science in Industrial Administration students, recommended that the school introduce a computer into the curriculum to run simulations. In 1956, an IBM 650 was installed in the basement of the GSIA building. This would be followed by the development of the Systems and Communication Sciences program, an interdisciplinary program involving study in computer science, mathematics, psychology, business and electrical engineering. This program would grow into the Department of Computer Science in 1965 and later the School of Computer Science in 1989 — making the school of computer science a spinoff of the business school.
Other business school spinoffs include the Department of Statistics in 1966 and the School of Urban and Public Affairs in 1967 — now known as the Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy.
Led by Thorne and Richard Cyert, then dean of GSIA, the school launched an entrepreneurship program in 1971 — one of the first in the world. This program would continue to grow and develop into many entrepreneurial initiatives, now housed within the Swartz Center for Entrepreneurship.
The largest expansion of the business school’s physical space was completed in 1993, designed by Kallmann, McKinnell & Wood Architects Inc. The 39,000-square-foot Posner Hall was constructed with gifts totaling $13.5 million from Helen and Henry Posner, from the descendants of William Larimer Mellon, and from the Vira I. Heinz Foundation.
The addition of Posner Hall would establish a new front door for the business school, vastly increase classroom space including tiered lecture halls, and add office space for faculty and staff. Expanded services permitted by the new construction included a dedicated master’s admission office and the Career Opportunities Center.
Continuing the school’s tradition of interdisciplinary education, in 1994 GSIA launched the Master of Science in Computational Finance program, administered by the business school, Heinz College, the Department of Mathematical Sciences and the Department of Statistics.
A 1990 endowment from the Bosch Group — a technology and services provider for a variety of business sectors — established the Carnegie Bosch Institute (CBI) at the business school. Prior to its move to the College of Engineering this year, CBI administered several Executive Education programs focused on global leadership. Bosch pledged a $2 million gift toward the construction of a third floor of Posner Hall, completed in 2000. The new space included classrooms, offices and breakout spaces dedicated to Executive Education programs.
Tepper School of Business
David Tepper, MBA ’82, pledged $55 million to the business school in 2004 — at the time, the largest gift in Carnegie Mellon University’s history. In honor of this contribution, the Graduate School of Industrial Administration was renamed the Tepper School of Business. The school dedicated $5 million of the gift to attracting and retaining top researchers and enhancing offerings for alumni.
The GSIA building would see one more expansion, in 2009. Built by Jendoco Construction Corporation, this three-story addition added 4,675 square feet to the west side of the building, adjacent to the exterior Peace Garden. The first floor added a new entrance to the building from Frew Street and a student lounge in the undergraduate wing. The second floor included a set of offices currently occupied by the Donald H. Jones Center for Entrepreneurial Studies — the academic arm of the Swartz Center established in 1990 through Thorne’s fundraising efforts. The third floor added new faculty offices and a large Faculty Conference Center. In 2010, this expansion earned a LEED Gold certification.
Tepper announced an additional gift to the school in 2013. This $67 million gift, to be matched with additional fundraising from alumni and corporate partners, established the David A. Tepper Quadrangle — an ongoing project adding new academic and administrative buildings on part of the site occupied by the Morewood Gardens parking lot at Forbes and Morewood avenues. The capstone building on the Tepper Quad becomes the new home of the Tepper School this year, with expanded space for undergraduate and graduate students, a new welcome center for the university, a central home for the Swartz Center, and modern instructional spaces intended to evolve as the models for education change — a priority that dates back to the original analysis from Marlier & Johnstone in 1949.
Moving to the new building will allow the Tepper School to continue to increase its academic programs and to offer more collaboration space for students, faculty and staff. Moreover, the new location puts the business school at the philosophical and physical center of the university’s developing innovation hub, increasing access to the world-class research and innovation represented throughout Carnegie Mellon’s campus.
Meanwhile, the space currently occupied by the business school in GSIA and Posner Hall will allow new space for programs in the College of Fine Arts and the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, including the Master of Fine Arts program, parts of the School of Music, Carnegie Mellon’s intercollege degree programs, the Institute for Politics and Strategy, the Department of Modern Languages, and the Center for the Arts in Society. It will also house a new Student Academic Success Center that brings together academic development programs, disability resources, the Global Communication Center, and additional student support initiatives.